Choirs Ontario Invites Nominations for Conductor of the 2020 Ontario Youth Choir
Nominations by Choirs Ontario members are now being accepted for the position of conductor of the 2020 Ontario Youth Choir program. Founded by Choirs Ontario in 1971, the Ontario Youth Choir (OYC) provides a unique opportunity for young singers from across Ontario to work with some of Canada’s outstanding choral leaders. Every summer 40 remarkable singers between the ages of 16 and 23 are selected to take part in OYC’s exceptional choral experience. The choristers are challenged with the finest choral repertoire while enjoying an exciting program of rehearsals, masterclasses and voice lessons. The 2020 Ontario Youth Choir program will run from Friday, August 7 to Sunday, August 16, 2020.
• The Conductor of the Ontario Youth Choir is responsible for conducting chorister auditions in spring of 2020, selecting repertoire (in accordance with the program mission statement provided), selecting the conductor intern(s), providing training for the conductor intern(s), conducting all rehearsals and performances of the choir, touring with the group, and being available for promotional purposes. The OYC Conductor will be assisted by a camp manager, two chaperones, and two vocal coaches.
• The successful candidate is well-established in Canada’s choral community as an exceptional choral conductor, experienced with and knowledgeable about young voices. She or he is capable of motivating and inspiring young people in choral training and performance, and has a thorough knowledge of the choral repertoire. In addition, he or she must possess the requisite skills to collaborate and work effectively with the Choirs Ontario office, OYC staff, the volunteer OYC committee and the Choirs Ontario Board of Directors.
• Applicants must be Canadian citizens or landed immigrants living in Canada.
If you are a member of Choirs Ontario, and you believe you know a suitable candidate for this opportunity please submit a letter of nomination via email no later than Friday, July 26, 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org
Nomination and selection process:
Nominate the candidate by submitting a letter of nomination outlining candidate’s qualifications and fit for the program, with contact information for both yourself and your nominee. Please DO NOT inform the candidate of your nomination.
The letters of nominations will be reviewed by the OYC selection committee. They will create a viable list of possible candidates and will select the candidate through discussion and consensus. An alternate candidate will also be selected. The Choirs Ontario Board will affirm the choice.
The successful candidate will be notified by personal call and, in writing.
The Selection Committee includes:
1. Members of the Choirs Ontario Board of Directors Executive Committee: Past-president, President, President-elect, Secretary, Treasurer, and two other board members; one being the Chair of the Ontario Youth Choir Committee, and one other board member. Should the Chair of OYC not be available, another board member may serve in his/her place.
2. Two members of the Choirs Ontario Advisory Council who are choral conductors.