The Toronto Mendelssohn Choir is seeking enthusiastic and engaged candidates to join its 12-member Board of Directors. The Board’s main focus is on the long term strategic direction, sustainability and financial performance of Canada’s flagship choral organization.
We are looking for directors who will share the following attributes with our current members:
- knowledge about and/or experience with the performing arts sector;
- an expressed or demonstrated commitment to the Mission, Vision and Values of the TMC;
- ability to think strategically and engage in sound, collaborative decision-making processes;
- the commitment to act with independence of mind, and in the best interests of the organization as a whole;
- dedication of time required of a director. Knowledge about and/or past experience with non-profit boards is valued.
To fill the current vacancies, we are particularly looking for candidates who have:
- proven leadership skills, including strong interpersonal and facilitation skills,
- proven experience in fundraising and building successful donor relations, especially in the performing arts sector,
- financial acumen, and/or
- proven experience in marketing and communications.
As one of Canada’s largest choral organizations, the Toronto Mendelssohn Choir is praised by patrons and media alike for the emotional intensity of its performances. Since its founding in 1894, the Choir has been dedicated to engaging audiences with the power of great choral music performed live. In addition to 20 performances a year, our education and outreach activities contribute to the development of professional and amateur choral musicians including: welcoming young singers to the Choir through our Apprentice program, offering a series of choral workshops for amateur singers, and supporting the development of emerging choral conductors and composers. The Choir’s Board and Management have recently implemented a class-leading program called “Creating a Safe Creative Space”, and are currently conducting a two-year process to select and engage a new Artistic Director to lead us into the future.
The TMC is committed to diversity within its community and welcomes applications from minority groups members and persons with disabilities. More information on the Toronto Mendelssohn Choir can be found at www.tmchoir.org.
If you have a passion for classical music performance and education, and would like to lend your expertise and experience to Canada’s champion of choral music, please contact Cynthia Hawkins, Executive Director at (416) 598-0422, ext 222 or firstname.lastname@example.org before November 23, 2018.