Hamilton Sings! Community Choir is a non-audition community choir and registered non-profit dedicated to making vocal music accessible to all. The Music Co-Director (MCD) is responsible for ensuring an atmosphere of fun and learning, while providing opportunities for participants to improve on music skills. The MCD will co-select and approve world music for the choir that reflects the cultural diversity of Hamilton and choir membership. The MCD will co-lead weekly rehearsals for two terms per year. The MCD will also encourage community outreach by the choir for various presentations and concerts in the community. They will also prepare, facilitate or co-ordinate at least four workshops per year.
COVID-19 limitations: during the course of the community lockdown, the MCD will substitute Zoom sessions for in person obligations wherever possible. This situation is dynamic and subject to change.
Duties and responsibilities
The Music Co-Directors are responsible for the following:
- Decides choir terms and activities – concert and workshop content, dates, locations, and facilitators
- Chooses and approves music that is accessible to inexperienced singers, as well as culturally diverse, reflecting the variety of residents of the greater Hamilton area.
- Co-leads weekly rehearsals for two terms, generally – Autumn Term – mid-September – early December; Winter/Spring Term – mid-January – end of April/early May.
- Co-conducts a mini concert at end of Autumn term, and full concert at end Winter/Spring Term.
- Nurtures the development of the choir – especially through workshops in music skills and those which are culturally focused – two of each type of workshop per year..
- Work with each other to achieve all of the above
- Meet regularly to review choir culture, ability and mood, music, rehearsal plans, concert programmes, and plan workshops.
The MCD will inform and assist as needed the activities of the following volunteers
- Librarian (maintains music files, arranges photocopying, various administrative tasks)
- Communications Member (sends out weekly updates to choir members via email)
- Membership Co-ordinator (a liaison role with choir members)
- Concert Co-ordinator (organizes a crew for concert set up/take down)
- Webmaster (supply practice voice files, pdf music files, membership and concert information, etc)
- Attends as ex-officio non-voting, Board meetings – reports on programme plans, budget needs
- Provides information for funding/fundraising activities
- Training in functional, natural singing – for example, the training as taught by Cornelius Reid
- Ability to demonstrate and teach by singing
- A passion for, and commitment to culturally diverse music and a desire to learn and teach these
- A patient and an encouraging attitude which nurtures the primary goal of a choir with diverse skills to “have fun” while learning and becoming cohesive as a group
- General music training and experience – ability to read and work with a choral score
- Conducting experience
- Ability to play piano and/or other instrument(s)
- Training and experience in group development and communication skills
Working Conditions and Time Requirement
Hamilton Sings! CC rehearses on Saturday mornings from 10:00 a.m. – 12:15 p.m. Conductors are generally on site by 9:30 for set up.
Until 2020, rehearsals were held at Sherman Boys & Girls Club (St. Peter’s Anglican Church). A new rehearsal venue location is currently being sought.
- December concert – usually first Saturday evening of December; April/May concert – Sunday afternoon.
- Other community concerts or presentations are by request and as available.
Current music directors describe the total time requirement as 8 to 10 hours/week.
There may be some long periods of standing while conducting rehearsals.
In season monthly stipend. Variable according to size of choir membership and fundraising efforts.
Prospective applicants please email resume no later than March 8,2021, to firstname.lastname@example.org while using “Music Director Application” in subject line.
|Application Deadline:||March 8, 2021|
|Reports to||Hamilton Sings! Board of Directors|