Start Date: April 1, 2019
Term: 11-month Maternity Leave Replacement (April-June / August-March)
30 hours per week, including rehearsal and concert attendance as required
Location: Downtown Toronto
The Toronto Mendelssohn Choir, Canada’s world-renowned choral champion, is searching for an enthusiastic, energetic and experienced Manager of Artistic Operations to join our small and dedicated team. Under the guidance of the Executive Director, and in collaboration with TMC artistic and administrative staff, the Manager of Artistic Operations will implement all artistic and production arrangements for the TMC’s self-produced performances and guest appearances.
The Manager of Artistic Operations will report to the Executive Director, and oversee the work of the chorister Section Heads.
A summary of responsibilities include:
Artistic/Concert planning and execution
- Book concert and rehearsal venues for all TMC self-produced concerts.
- Liaise with Interim Conductor and Executive Director about artistic and production needs for TMC self-produced performances, and communicate information to TMC staff as needed.
- Execute guest artist contracts, and liaise with TMC Orchestra Contractor in hiring orchestral musicians as needed.
- Liaise with and organize guest artist appearances for all TMC self-produced performances.
- For TMC self-produced concerts, coordinate production requirements with concert venues.
- For TMC guest appearances, coordinate production requirements with presenting venues/organizations.
- Marshal choir for all TMC performances and guest appearances.
- Assist with front of house for all TMC self-produced concerts, including recruitment and management of volunteer ushers.
Chorister Communications and Liaison
- Coordinate annual auditions for new and returning volunteer choristers, professional core of singers and alumni.
- Create and update annual rehearsal and performance schedule and post on TMC Google Calendar.
- Create chorister seating plans for regular rehearsals and all performances, based on needs identified by Interim Conductor or guest conductors.
- Create and distribute weekly chorister communications and special messaging as needed.
- Manage volunteer chorister attendance and commitment through oversight of TMC Volunteer Section Heads.
- Manage professional core singers attendance and contractual commitments, and communicate issues to Interim Conductor.
- In consultation with the TMC Alumni Program Manager, coordinate arrangements around TMC Alumni Singer Program.
- Liaise with TMC volunteer wardrobe coordinator.
- Oversee and organize submissions for Choral Composition Competition.
- Oversee and organize submissions for Roy Wood Award.
- Manage TMC Apprentice Program.
- 3-5 years of experience in concert management or arts administration. Concert or theatrical production experience would be a strong asset.
- Completion of an arts administration degree or related post-secondary education strongly preferred.
- Passion for the performing arts essential.
- A motivated self-starter who enjoys providing input and idea generation as part of a small and close-knit team, while being comfortable with taking direction.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and with a high attention to detail.
- An empathy for and ability to work effectively with volunteers.
- A clear, motivational verbal and written communicator.
- Competency with computer software including Excel and Microsoft Office Suite. Experience with CRM software would be an asset.
- Flexibility to work evenings and weekends.
The TMC offers flexible working arrangements, including the ability to work some time at home. Two weeks paid vacation, plus approx. two weeks paid time off between Christmas and New Year’s.
To apply, please send your CV and a cover letter outlining why you would like to work with the Toronto Mendelssohn Choir to Cynthia Hawkins, Executive Director at email@example.com by February 22, 2019. Please note that all applicants must be currently eligible to work in Canada.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Toronto Mendelssohn Choir, Canada’s world-renowned large vocal ensemble, performs choral music drawn from five centuries, including grand symphonic masterworks, world premieres of new compositions, and rarely heard works. In addition to its own concert season, the TMC also appears regularly with the Toronto Symphony Orchestra and makes other guest appearances.
The 120 choristers of the TMC include professional singers, auditioned volunteers and apprentices who are all committed to offering audiences authentic interpretation, clarity of expression, and a profound emotional experience of some of the most important music ever composed.
The TMC is currently under the direction of Interim Artistic Director David Fallis while the organization conducts an international search for a new Artistic Director. The search is expected to be concluded by the end of the 2019/20 season and this new Artistic Director will be the 8th in the Choir’s 125-year history.
TMC Education and Outreach initiatives include the Associate Conductor position, Singsation Saturday choral workshops, and webcasts of select concerts which reach a growing audience across Canada and internationally.
In September 2018, the TMC launched its Creating a Safe Creative Space Initiative which outlines how the TMC aims to provide a creatively fulfilling, safe and healthy environment that is inclusive of people who identify as various races, genders, abilities, and sexual orientations. The TMC aims to ensure positive and respectful relationships that are demonstrated by welcome, friendship and support among members and for everyone involved in the organization.
Finalized January 2019