The Church of St. John the Evangelist, Elora invites applications for the position of Director of Music at St. John’s
Location: 36 Henderson Street, Elora, Ontario, N0B 1S0, Canada
Contract salary: Compensation in line with RCCO recommendations based on 15 – 20 hours per week
Application Deadline: December 31, 2018 Early applications are appreciated.
The Church of St. John the Evangelist, Elora is committed to excellence in liturgy in all its services. We follow the Anglican liturgies according to the Book of Common Prayer and the Book of Alternative Services. We are dedicated to an Anglican musical tradition and practice. Such practice includes a strong choral performance, hymnody, Anglican chant and excellence in organ performance and accompaniment. This standard applies to both volunteer and professional musicians within the parish and, in particular, supports a fully professional choir as a significant contributor to the church’s outreach program. Part of this outreach is the cooperative working relationship with the Elora Singers and the Elora Festival, both of which are significant associated organizations of the church.
The Director of Music (DM) is responsible for the music ministry at St. John’s and will work in close cooperation with the Rector to integrate word and music. Together with other music leaders, the DM will program all regular and special services and occasional performances. Other leaders include the organist and director of the volunteer choir and the director of the youth choir.
- Primary responsibility will be the programming, rehearsing and conducting of the fully professional Parish Choir (PC) which represents a significant component of the 11:00 AM services, evensongs and musical outreach to the broader community. This choir occasionally performs concerts as well as services in other churches and has a significant recording discography.
- Lead in outreach elements of the PC as agreed with the Rector and Corporation in accordance with St. John’s ministry of music.
- Responsible for the management of the PC including recruiting and evaluation of performance.
- Meet as required with the Rector and the other directors to review planned activities, performances and repertoire for the church’s various musical seasons.
- Participate in an annual review with the Rector and the Wardens.
- Responsible for budget planning as determined within the guidelines set by the Corporation.
- Work collaboratively with the Elora Singers and the Elora Festival.
- Work respectfully at all times in accordance with Diocesan policies.
Qualifications and Experience:
- A degree in music or equivalent music leadership experience.
- Extensive programming and choral ensemble conducting experience, with knowledge of Anglican liturgy an asset.
- Strong piano skills required. Ability to play the organ an asset.
- Ability to lead dynamic and organized choir rehearsals.
- Experience in recruiting and evaluating professional musicians.
- Ability to provide a supportive and encouraging environment for the musicians.
- Actively and passionately engage the congregation through the ministry of music.
- Desire to work as a team member with the Parish staff.
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to plan and maintain a budget.
- Administrative precision and attention to detail.
How to Apply:
Send the following by e-mail to the Search Committee at email@example.com:
- Cover letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Three references
We will acknowledge receipt of applications and initially communicate with applicants by e-mail. We will make every effort to respect the confidentiality of all candidates and will only call references later in the process. Please note: Successful applicants will be contacted for an interview. Further evaluation may be required by successful applicants leading a choir rehearsal and one service.