Based in Ajax, Ontario, Young Singers offers young people between the ages of 4 and 20 an opportunity to experience choral music through the love of singing. Representing over 1000 children who have been involved in the program since 1992, the Young Singers divided into five choirs are delighted to have the opportunity to perform for audiences of all ages where they can share their joy of music!
Young Singers is looking for a Conductor’s Assistant for the 2019-2020 season. This role with a leading choral organization is meant to provide further professional development for an emerging conductor. The successful candidate will work under the direction of Director, Mark Oracion, and the Artistic Director, Anna Lynn Murphy with the Director’s and Random Notes choirs. The job role would begin in September 2019. The successful candidate will gain first hand experience in the leadership and management of a successful youth choral organization.
* Observe/audit/assist choir rehearsals;
* Conduct sectionals during weekly rehearsals;
* Conduct one or two pieces in rehearsal and performance;
* Improve conducting techniques and teaching methodologies through engagement with directors;
* Lead a comprehensive youth Theory and Sight Singing program with assistance from parent volunteers;
* Other choral program duties as needed and set out by directors
* An undergraduate degree in Music/Music Education preferred;
* Minimum 2 years of conducting experience
* Must be available for all rehearsals and performances
* An understanding of vocal pedagogy and International Phonetic Alphabet;
* Excellent theory and musicianship skills;
* Experience teaching and working with children and youth;
* Ability to conduct rehearsals in absence of the Director
* Exceptional organizational and interpersonal skills;
* Positive and enthusiastic attitude.
If interested, please submit a cover letter, resume, references, and links to video recordings of conducting performance (no attachments of videos).
Please email documents and video links to Mark Oracion, Director: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for your interest. Applicants who have been selected for interviews will be contacted. The position will remain open until filled.