Conductor, Specialty Choirs
Reports to the Manager of Music
Start date Sept 2020
About the MNjcc:
The Miles Nadal Jewish Community Centre is a dynamic hub in downtown Toronto. We provide opportunities for
people of all ages and backgrounds to be active, learn, connect and participate in a wide range of cultural experiences.
Rooted in Jewish values, the MNjcc is open to all. Founded on this site in 1953 the MNjcc is home to a 3800 member
state of the art Fitness Centre, the Al Green Theatre, four schools, three choirs, a wide range of arts and cultural
activities, Jewish Life programming, and a robust seniors program.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
– Program a range of choral repertoire for a different genre for each term (examples – jazz, folk, Motown, pop
etc) with the expectation of the choir reading ability to range from beginner to intermediate level.
– Advise re purchase and/or rental of music (keeping in mind the budget).
– Create recorded tracks for each section, for each piece and voice part.
– Conduct 3 sessions (fall, winter, spring) 8 rehearsals per session. Responsibilities include teaching the music,
discussing vocal production specific to the genre, and some brief history and/or context for the music being
– Relay news and/or important information for the Specialty choir members when necessary.
– Use time well, answering questions respectfully, keeping the group on track in their learning.
– Liaise with Manager of Music RE: submission of content for the website to Marketing and Music e-newsletter.
– Liaise with Coordinator Adult Arts and Culture RE: booking the rooms, equipment, and room set-ups needed
for the year, and possible informal concerts.
– Supervise/advise accompanist, when necessary.
– Make all levels of musicians feel welcome and heard. Create a learning atmosphere of peace, harmony,
community, camaraderie, dignity, excellence. Learning atmosphere should be light hearted and fun.
Qualifications and Requirements:
– 2- 5 years adult choir conductor experience.
– Candidates must currently be conducting with the understanding that they may be observed as part of the hiring
– Ability to work effectively with staff and patrons
– Candidates must be able to legally work in Canada.
– Three 8 week sessions (fall, winter, spring) separate genre for each
– Thursdays 7-8:30pm
Pay and Benefits:
– $83.33/hr with accompaniment, $100/hr without accompaniment
– Complimentary access to the MNjcc fitness centre
– Complimentary tickets to Al Green Theatre programs
How to apply:
– Email email@example.com with the subject line: CONDUCTOR RESUME
– Deadline: Tuesday March 17 th, 2020
– Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Alternate Formats and Accommodation:
The MNjcc is committed to providing an accessible employment environment. We are committed to the principles of
the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and aim to ensure that dignity, integration, and equality
of opportunity are embedded in all aspects of JCC culture.
If you require accommodation during the hiring process, please inform us in advance so that we can arrange reasonable
and appropriate accommodation. Please contact David Fielder at: (416) 924-6211 x404; firstname.lastname@example.org; or in
person by appointment.
|Application Deadline:||Tuesday, March 17th, 2020|