Job title: Independent Contractor – Choral Conductor(s) for Nai Children’s Choir
Compensation: Negotiable rate per session
Hours: Hours/week based on choir rehearsals and performances
Start / End Date: January 6 – June 30, 2020
Reports to: Bryna Berezowska, Manager Nai Children’s Choir
Deadline to apply: December 13, 2019
CultureLink is a settlement and community organization with 30 years’ experience in developing and delivering services to meet the needs of diverse communities. CultureLink works within an anti-oppression framework and is committed to equity.
The CultureLink Nai Children’s Choir creates a place of healing, learning and rejoicing, with its programs focused on the well-being of refugee families. Taking an arts-based youth empowerment approach, the Nai Children’s Choir utilizes music as a force for healing, hope, and connection. We build a close-knit artistic community to provide free and accessible music education to refugee children mainly from Syria and other war-torn countries of the Middle East. Since April 2016, we have worked with more than four hundred refugee children.
Freelance Choir Conductors collaborate with regular program staff to teach music to children during Choir rehearsals, and conduct performances. Choir rehearsals occur on Tuesdays in North York (4:00-6:30 p.m.) and Wednesdays in Etobicoke (3:30 – 6:00 p.m.). Freelance Choir Conductors are booked subject to their availability and program needs, and invoice CultureLink per sessions or performance. Program participants are 6 – 12 years of age and are newcomers from Syria, Lebanon, Iran, Kenya, India, Philippians, Ukraine and more. The Choral Conductors teach music, helps choose repertoire, and provides a welcoming and enjoyable space for children to learn and develop their skills.
– Create curriculum for participants when leading the rehearsal
– Suggest repertoire and collaborate with other Nai musicians
– Lead participants through the musical learning and polishing processes
– Instruct healthy vocal techniques, lead music interpretation, and teach music theory to students
– Conduct performances
– Create a positive and welcoming environment for children to develop skills, build teamwork, and feel confident
– Degree in Music Education/Choral Conducting preferred
– 5+ years of work experience as a choral conductor, work with children, experience with newcomers preferred
– Satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Screening within the past six months (or willing to obtain VSC)
– One of the following languages preferred – Arabic, Nepali, French or other
– Organized, good time management and problem-solving skills, patient and compassionate
– Work well with others, open and adaptable to situations
How to Apply:
CultureLink works within an anti-oppression framework and is committed to equity. Please ask and we will strive to accommodate diverse needs. To apply/audition please send your cover letter and resume by email to the Nai Children’s Choir Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will only follow up with applicants who have been granted an audition/interview.